Friday, November 19, 2010

The Ravishing Of Dina II

Luke Ford writes:

This week’s Torah portion is Parashat Vayishlach (Genesis 32:4-36:43). I discuss it with Rabbi Rabbs.

* Who does Jacob wrestle with all night?

* 33:11 Esau does not reciprocate with a lavish gift. This is the settling of an old score.

* 35:5 A Godly terror fell upon the cities so they did not pursue Jacob’s sons. I’d rather have people (not my friends) fear me than love me. Then they will treat me better.

* Israel means struggle with God. What does that mean? If you don’t have sexual tension, that’s not good for a marriage.

* Gen. 34: Dina did not deserve to be raped but she precipitated the events by wandering around on her own. Do you criticize her for going out? Do you criticize Jacob for allowing this? The plain meaning of the Torah text is that she wanted to hang out with women. She wasn’t looking for men.

34:2 Shechem saw her, took her, lay with her by force, and made her suffer. That’s how rapes go, I guess.



No comments: